The Cohen House is a City of Oakland Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The restoration of this 1884 stick-style villa involved interfacing with state agencies, a non-profit preservation organization and members of the family that has occupied the home for a century. The design work called for a sensitive intervention to minimize disturbance of ‘mint-condition’ interiors and prioritizing work balancing aesthetic and technical concerns. Both planning and implementation of the restoration were provided by the architect. This project received a 1990 Orchid Award from the Oakland City Assets Committee.